'

Sunday, December 2, 2012

'Tis the Season

Thanksgiving has passed and Christmas is coming. The season for gratitude and appreciation. I have so much to be grateful for: old friends and new friends, family and generosity, time to play with my creativity, doggy play groups, and a land abundant with walking paths and sunshine (Colorado).

Last night I got a niggle of inspiration to create this bit of holiday cheer. It is pretty complex, but here is the basic recipe:

Start with a circle
Add some custom shapes
Top with a texture or several
Work with different blend modes and opacity on each texture
Save the different effects (separate files) so you have several iterations of the circle.

Open each file and remove the background. I think you can do this by flattening and clipping, but I did it by using the eraser and quick selection tool and deleting.

Then start a new file with a black background; layer the different circles, add an outer glow to each circle.
Add a few more custom shapes, brush effects, and text and a border.

This took a bit of time, but I had so much fun doing it ... playing with different effects. The possibilities are endless as with all creative endeavors. Try some yourself.


Textures thanks to Kim Klassen: cherishedscripted, wonderfulmagicstars, providence, autumnburst, zuzu. 
Thanks to Krist Adams for the circle dots.

Last Friday, I met with a dear friend of mine who always encourages me to be my best. One day we met at a doggy play date with lots of other dogs and their people. I captured this image of her Sumo and fell in love. I was so excited that I wanted to send it to her immediately, but I resisted. I chose to make a print and give it to her as a Christmas gift early. Her eyes welled up and glistened as she gazed at her sweet Sumo.


Textures thanks to Kim Klassen: steelish, kristin, bestill.

It was not an arranged gift exchange, but that is what happened. Jill gave me a little Bichon Christmas ornament--my mini Kobi. He's adorable and has found a special place on the pass-through counter between my kitchen and living room. Makes me smile and remember my friend's generosity.

Hoping this season brings all that you hope for including delights of the heart--friendship, gratitude, generosity, and love, as well as sweet delights--cookies, cakes, and pies.

'Tis also a time for reflecting and looking forward. I'm going to participate in Kat's Reverb '12, although I will not be posting daily. I think I'll be batching between Walk and Click Wednesdays. I'm so grateful to Jill at A Thousand Shades of Gray; otherwise, I wouldn't have know about Reverb '12. Take a look and consider playing along too.


Merry Christmas, Frohe Weihnachten, Joyeux Noël, and Happy Hannukah!

5 comments:

  1. Looks like you've been having fun experimenting! I'm not even close to being ready for the Christmas season, but I'm still grateful for all my many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely circle project- and it looks like fun to make (an important quality!).

    Love your Sumo photo, and the impromptu gift process it inspired. I too like to give that way.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun project! Thanks for telling us how to do it. I still haven't played with layers and textures much, but you make me want to try! What a sweet gift for your friend, too. You've got the season in your heart, obviously!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adorable photo of your friend's dog. I'm sure she really appreciated your thoughtful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gifts from the heart are always the best because they are give with love.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Hope you'll leave a message so I know you were here. I love to hear from my visitors. ;->