'

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Reverb '12: Days 22 - 24

Continuing with Reverb '12 with Kat @ I Saw You Dancing... Days 22 - 24.

Day 22: Your most important gift? What was the greatest gift you received in 2012? What was the greatest gift you gave? What do you intend to give yourself in 2013?

Textures thanks to Kim Klassen: cherishscripted
Textures thanks to Pixel Dust: ImpressionistMusic, HolyGrunge
Textures thanks to Shadowhouse Creations: Raised Effect 2
Textures thanks to Paree Erica: Fireflies VII, Silver Stars
Bow brush thanks to fartoolate

Generosity is the greatest gift I received in 2012. Generosity of spirit, of time, and of friendship. Those in my circles showed they cared and I am so grateful. We all need to know there is someone or many someones who care what happens to us. I really am blessed.

One of my gifts is the creativity I've shared. My hope is that it brings some pleasure to my blog readers. But, I believe the greatest gift I gave is appreciation. I made every effort I could to let people know I appreciated their efforts and their place in my life. I also try my best to be kind, although there are times my frustration gets the best of me.

Just a few days ago, I saw a man at a highway exit hoping a few people might stop and contribute to his well-being. I'm afraid I've become a bit skeptical, but being a bit blue that morning, I decided I could help both of us out. Since I was on my way to Starbucks for my only vice, I decide to double my order of coffee and pumpkin bread. I backtracked out of my way to take it back to him. I gave him the treats and wished him the best. After I left, I felt I missed something I had grown accustomed to doing ... I wished I'd asked his name. And thought I should have asked his story. Another time, I guess. I just wasn't quite myself that morning.

Day 23: What will you let go of? Name three excuses -- stories you tell yourself that are holding you back -- that you are going to let go of in 2013.

Textures thanks to Shadowhouse Creations: 33, 178
Textures thanks to French Kiss: Purple Prose
Mountain brush thanks to 00AngelicDevil00

Three stories I tell myself that hold me back ... hmmm, I hadn't quite bargained for this level of truth-telling, but I know we all have things we don't want to admit even to ourselves.

I have a gigantic critic that resides inside. You know the one ... you can't do that, you don't know enough, you're not good enough. Yep. I said it. But, if I'm really honest, this isn't altogether true. I can do a lot, I know a lot, and I am fine just that way I am even if I do experience those "negative" emotions. Yes, I can be quite judgmental and that seems to lead to anger. I am envious of those who are successful, but this doesn't help me be successful.

So, with that said, those are the things I'd like to let go of: the inner critic, judgment, and envy. That requires a plan ... well, those steps haven't evolved yet, but the week between now and New Year's might be a good time to think on that.

Day 24: What is your most important habit? What is the single most important habit you intend to cultivate in 2013?

Textures thanks to Kim Klassen: gentlewhisper, xanthescripted, ugglove, 123, takeheart
Textures thanks to Shadowhouse Creations: Square-20, 25, 132

I really want to discover a way to transition more of my judgments to kindness and thoughtfulness. This requires mindfulness ... paying attention. This means being more thoughtful and kinder to myself as well. That's where we must begin, isn't it? How can we pass that good on to others if we're beating ourselves up over the stupid things we've done, the mean thoughts we have? So I want to remember the day I helped the baby bird out of the crack in the driveway. We all have stories that cause us pain, the pain that causes us to lash out in annoyance and frustration. To remember this is the first step in showing more grace towards others.

Thanks to Kat for encouraging me to consider this question.

3 comments:

  1. Lissa - you have shared so openly from the heart in this series and I am so proud of you my friend :) You made a wonderful step towards letting go by bringing that fellow a wonderful treat. Learning those ways to change takes practice. Goodness knows I need lots more practice in 2013. But moments when I do follow what has been placed in my heart and take that extra time for someone is when I feel so alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lissa, So beautiful. You really have me thinking..what three things am I going to let go?
    Wonderful way to enter the New Year

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful post - love that you shared some hot coffee and food with the man on the side of the road. Like you I have become skeptical and always wonder if the money will be spent on alcohol. I find the people who are critical of others are most often hardest on themselves so if we can all learn to not be our own worse critic perhaps we can all be less judgmental of others...that is a good thing we can all strive for. Big hugs and wishing you blessings, good health and prosperity for 2013. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Hope you'll leave a message so I know you were here. I love to hear from my visitors. ;->