'

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Merry Wooden Shoes

mouseover for before image

I finally got bitten by the Christmas Spirit bug this afternoon when I saw at King Soopers that Christmas trees were on sale for $14.95. After buying my groceries, I stopped by the golf course where Phillip works to see if he could help me get the tree home. He said "yes." For those of you who know the story behind recent times with him, you know this is quite a step forward—for both of us. It brought tears to my eyes. And he helped me get the tree in the stand as well.

I haven't had a real tree for several years. There are so many reasons and most of them seem unreasonable now. Anyway, I called Scott to see if he'd come to help me decorate, but he didn't have room in his schedule this evening for that kind of spontaneity. Neverthelss, he said he could come tomorrow. Well, if I don't get impatient, that will be really nice to do together. I know, I know, I should wait. It will be a real treat to decorate with him.

In the meantime, I pulled the tree skirt out that I made when the kids were little and placed the wooden shoes. There is quite a story there. When I was little I had wooden shoes from a visit to Holland. I was born and adopted in Stuttgart, Germany. I have a picture of me when I was about three standing beside my dad, but only his legs and shoes are in the picture. If I can locate it, I'll post in the next day or two.

Now these red hand-painted wooden shoes are not the same shoes I wore then. My original ones were not painted. These were given to me by my birth-brother when I met him many years later. I told him my wooden shoes had been given away and he kindly replaced them with these.

Today was a day of giving, receiving, and remembering kindness. When I take time to remember, I realize I am truly blessed. What helps you remember that you are blessed?

Textures thanks to Kim Klassen and posted to her 12 Days of Textures: annabelle and lola.

Also linked to Lisa Gordon's Creative Exchange.

Don't miss my One Little Word 2012 post. Fun info there on how to manifest goodness in the New Year!

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like it was a wonderful day for you Lissa, and what a beautiful story behind those little wooden shoes. Thank you for sharing it here, and also for sharing it with us this week at The Creative Exchange.

    I wish you and your family a beautiful Holiday.

    lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are sweet shoes, and what a great composition they make. Hope you have a great time decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful story about the wooden shoes. Do you remember Germany very well. so neat that you met your birth brother. I have recently connected with a family member that never knew me until recently. Has been very meaningful. Hugs from Texas, and glad that you had a meaningful day! Hope that you waited to decorate that tree.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Hope you'll leave a message so I know you were here. I love to hear from my visitors. ;->