'

Thursday, December 22, 2011

An evening of Christmas cheer

This is a lengthier post than usual, but there is a treat at the end if you love a great sugar cookie! There is nothing like SHARING sweets at during the holidays! Linked to Many Muses Musing.

My youngest son, Scott, came over last night to decorate the Christmas tree. I surprised him with one of his favorite meals--creamed turkey on toast. He was thrilled. But before we got to the tree, he fell asleep on the couch. I wondered if we'd actually get to decorating, but when he woke up he asked why I let him sleep. Well, one reason is he can be a bit grumpy when I wake him. This way he got is rest from a full day fixing cars and I didn't get blamed for disturbing him.

It all worked out. He went down memory lane with the ornaments and I made sugar cookies. Yummy! See recipe at the end of this post.

Then I took some close-ups and pics of him which was a challenge as he continually dodges the eye of the lens. What is it with my family? My mother hated to have her picture taken, hence there are very few flattering images in the archives. First, a beautiful ornament--one of my favorites on the tree even though I bought lots of Hallmark ornament for the kids over the years. Then one that I brought back from Germany when I visited my birth-brother many years ago.



Well, I just can't resist posting a picture of Scott. I'll have to take it up with him later, but I love him and just gotta give him at least a microsecond in comparison to the furry four-legged I post all the time. But, as you can see, I got him in there too. I don't think he's too happy about having a new earring!! But Scott is definitely amused. ;->

Sugar Cookies (thanks to my friend, Jerry)

2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 c butter
1 c vegetable oil
1 c white sugar
1 c powdered sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
4 c flour

Step 1: Beat eggs and vanilla in mixing container, add butter and oil; mix well.
Step 2: Add soda and cream of tartar, mix; add regular and powdered sugar, mix
well.
Step 3: Add flour and mix well.
Step 4: (suggested, but not necessary)
I like to make my own refrigerator rolls like Pillsbury makes by rolling logs in wax paper, then slice and back. Best if frozen at least a couple of hours.
You can roll into balls, place on baking sheet, and press with the bottom of a glass to flatten slightly.
Step 5: Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Don't let the bottom brown too much.

4 comments:

  1. visiting you from mortal muses. I use a very similiar sugar cookie recipe. I think the powdered sugar is the key. Have a wonderful Christmas, and lovely shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from Mortal Muses. Thank you for sharing your recipe! I hope you and yours have a very Merry Christmas!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas Lissa! Loving the red sprinkles :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The picture of the red ornament is marvelous! And it is sure great to see some of your family.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Hope you'll leave a message so I know you were here. I love to hear from my visitors. ;->