'

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Small Stone: Extraordinary Sighting

Day 5: Small Stone project with Satyavani Fiona Robyn and Kaspalita Thompson at Writing Our Way Home.

This is the moment I wish I had one of those super duper 800mm lenses ... and could carry it!! My apologies for the blur, but at least I had the wherewithal to capture the moment. I've never seen a Bald Eagle in the wild ... I mean, I've never seen a Bald Eagle at all!! And not only did I capture one, but I got a pair! I was quite far away ... taken with a 55-200mm and cropped.


Did you know the Bald Eagle has a body length of 70–102 centimeters (28–40 in). Typical wingspan is between 1.8 and 2.3 m (5.9 and 7.5 ft) and mass is normally between 3 and 6.3 kilograms (6.6 and 14 lb). Females are about 25 percent larger than males, averaging 5.6kg (12 lb), and against the males' average weight of 4.1kg (9.0)? (Source wikipedia).


Today was just one of those days I needed to get in the car and go. I headed north, thinking I'd go to Laramie, Wyoming. I don't know why, I just pointed the car that direction. Then I tried to find the scenic route. Boy, did I manage that ... and felt a little lost, but I'm grateful because I hit the jackpot.

This sighting was near Soapstone Prairie Natural Area, a 28-square-mile park and conservation area located 25 miles north of Ft. Collins, Colorado. The land was purchased in 2004, which was opened to the public in 2009. I will definitely have to go back and walk the trials of Soapstone Prairie when the park is open in the spring!

Small Stone: Don't be afraid of feeling lost. It's in the void miracles happen.
I think this is one I need to heed.

Come back tomorrow for Lessons from the Road!

9 comments:

  1. How awesome is that! So glad that you got in the car and went, that is usually when the best surprises happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, Lissa, what good fortune!
    These are amazing photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so exciting and a huge gift! I had an unusual Bald Eagle siting in Seattle over Christmas. There were two sitting right next to each other on a light post as we drove over the 520 bridge from Kirkland to Seattle. I have rarely seen Bald Eagles in my life and to see two together so close to the city was amazing! What a great sign for the New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. eagles are great birds. And so lovely to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh THANK YOU for sharing this wonderful experience! I am still hoping to see a bald eagle myself one day.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lucky day indeed! How fortunate you were able to capture them as well ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Lissa, what a sight these must have been. And you got great shots!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your small stone. I saw a bald eagle once years ago in Montana. So exciting! No pics, though, so I'm happy you were able to get some!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Hope you'll leave a message so I know you were here. I love to hear from my visitors. ;->