'

Monday, January 16, 2012

A Fowl Day

I knew as 2011 ended and 2012 began I was signing up for a lot: Shutter Sisters 365, One Little Word 2012, In the Picture Selfies, Macro Mondays, Beyond Layers!! All on top of looking for full-time work and/or pursuing promoting my own photography!! Whew! I need to take a breath just saying all of that.

I've already fallen behind because looking for work has taken a front row seat, as it should. In fact, such a front row seat that I've been involved in the interview process. I have a second interview tomorrow! Of course, that is a VERY good thing!! I'm going to reserve any reflections about all that for now, but will bring you up to date when I know more.

In the meantime, I took Kobi on a walk on one of the Niwot trails in Boulder today. I had lots and lots of fowl opportunities. First, I saw a Blue Heron. I definitely wasn't prepared for him, but I still caught a fair picture. It's a case of lens envy, for sure.

  

Even though it was quite chilly out and dark clouds were threatening snow, the ducks didn't seem to care. Three of the four remained in my frame.

 

But not for long before they took flight. This is the best of one of them. 

Later, I happened on a beautiful frozen pond. It was on private property, but the public walking path stretched out just beside the fence. There were so many geese congregating on the ice. But my favorite image was of this lovely little Mallard duckie that walked across the ice to get a drink where it was melting in the center of the pond. 

 

As Kobi and I continued to walk on down the path the geese flew off in flocks. I took lots and lots of pictures of them. In this one, they were still quite low to the ground.

 

But, I also got a great close-up. 

On the way back, the branch on the ice caught my eye with some ducks in the background. I am continually amazed at some of the things that look so beautiful in the winter months. So often we think of these months being brown and grey and blah. But it isn't just that. In some ways winter can sparkle. In some ways details pop out differently than in other seasons. For example, the tree branch would either be floating on the pond surface and only be partially visible, or it would have sunk to the bottom.

By the time I was almost back to the car, the sun began to peek through the clouds. I was ready to get home and rest even though it wasn't a hard hike, but I think the temperature took it out of me. Consider this The Stroll on a blog!

Textures thanks to Kim Klassen: evolve2 on the Mallard taking a drink.

Textures thanks to Shadowhouse Creations: Square 58 on the Blue Heron and the single goose.

Linked up with Lisa Gordon's Creative Exchange 1/16 -1/20.

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful shots! I'm jealous of your ducks - mine only come near the pond when it's warm and fly before I can snap a shot. Thanks for letting us share your walk! And good luck on the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lissa, you're not doing a very good job of hiding your talent anymore; it's simply unmistakable now. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on the interview! All wonderful captures here. I'm finding in my archives quite a few shots of birds and ducks and I never really realized how much I favored them a subject til recently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome photos! Just awesome. I wish you'd win a lottery so you wouldn't have to get a full-time job and could just spend your days doing photography and layers and such to entertain and inspire me. Honestly. Have you bought any lottery tickets lately?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just tried out the Like button - it works great! Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous shots! Glad I found your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are wonderful images Lissa, and the photograph of the heron is just gorgeous. You surely caught it at the perfect time.

    I hope that your second interview went well!

    Thank you so very much for sharing with us this week at The Creative Exchange.

    Have a wonderful day!

    lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for letting us journey along with you. The images of the heron and C. Goose are wonderful! Tricky, too, to catch them in flight.
    Thanks also for your kind comment at CE! I appreciate it:)
    Hope you have good luck with the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have "bird envy" :). Great shot and processing!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice images Lissa, I especially like the mallard on the frozen pond. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Hope you'll leave a message so I know you were here. I love to hear from my visitors. ;->