'

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Creative Expression: Creative Altitude Church Dome - A Tutorial

I started by stealing ...

No, no, no ... not really stealing ... not the kind where I'll go to jail. But recently I was looking at the Denver Metro Chamber's Business Altitude quarterly magazine, Business Altitude, and I couldn't help, but like the play on words ... altitude (being in the Mile High state of Colorado) and attitude, which I can have plenty of sometimes. Playing with fonts gave me the perfect corner title, Creative Altitude.

I called this Church Dome because it reminds me of the Orthodox Church Domes of the European type.


For the first time since I started playing with Photoshop and creating original designs, I decided to show my work and provide a bit of a tutorial. You'll have to have Photoshop basics, know of textures and brushes, and understand the concept of layers.

Here are my steps ... to be read from the bottom up. You will notice some of the steps are not in a logical order ... that's how the creative mind works as most of you will completely understand!


  • So, you'll see that I started out with one of Kim Klassen's textures, oops just noticed I didn't name that one ... it's kk_jamal, part of her August trio.
  • Then added a layer of kk_cecile and made the layer smaller so as to have kk_jamal provide a border.
  • Added a French Kiss Flourish to the bottom right corner (not quite sure where to find these brushes anymore);
  • and kk_cecile texture, which I clipped into the flourish;
  • Added a full layer of kk_traverse;
  • Added French Kiss Script1 Stone Daisy brush with an inside bevel;
  • Clipped in a layer of kk_heartfelt; 
  • Created the title, Creative Altitude in three layers to get an angle using two different fonts: Herculanum and Trajan Pro;
  • Added a French Kiss Flourish in the upper left corner
  • Overlayed smaller French Kiss Script2 Stone Daisy with an inner bevel in the center of the large one
  • Added a French Kiss script in the lower left corner for interest
  • Used Plastic Wrap - Light 90px in the upper right corner for interest
  • Inserted Stencil Sponge Twirl in the center of each spoke with a drop shadow
  • Added Texture Comb 2 into the "spokes of the Stone Daisy
  • Added my company watermark for the limited protection it provides

Enough for today ... if you are so inclined to actually look at the steps and have questions, feel free to ask in the comments or contact me directly. Don't forget to experiment with blending modes and opacity levels.

Thanks for visiting!


4 comments:

  1. love this and thank you so much for that great tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this, Lissa! Love to see the behind the scenes working of someone with creative attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the image you created. Thanks for sharing your creative process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful, Lissa!
    Thank you for sharing it here.
    Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Hope you'll leave a message so I know you were here. I love to hear from my visitors. ;->