'

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Strengths: Adaptability

This past week, I took Tom Rath's StrengthsFinder as part of assessments I was requested to do at work. I found it really interesting and quite on target. I really recommend it, especially if you're not sure what your strengths are. How can we perform to our top potential if we don't even know what our strengths are? Sometimes we think we know, but are we sure?

My top five strengths are:
  1. Adaptability
  2. Intellection
  3. Learner
  4. Communication
  5. Activator
I wasn't terribly surprised at the overall list, especially 2, 3, and 4, but I was surprised that Adaptability was number one! I had been feeling recently that I'm a bit like a camelion, changing to meet the circumstances and people I'm with. I was feeling it as a negative. This viewpoint and word gave me a different perspective. And Activator surprised me a little even though what I do know about myself is once I make a decision, I'm right there, jumping in to get started.

So what does this have to do with anything? Well, I was tested this weekend. My furnace decided that it just didn't want to work any more. Hmmm, I have that feeling sometimes, but I know better. ;-> Working is what I need to do in order to have my home and my toys. But what came up? ADAPTABILITY!! So, here is a photo-collage of how I adapted while the outside temperature is 37º and the inside temp is somewhere less than 60º.

No textures; only levels, light, saturation and hue adjustments

Sleeping with the electric blanket on LO and a quilt and two extra blankets last night I was actually hot and woke up several times. Anyway, this morning I turned on the space heater in the living room by my chair; turned on the oven to warm the kitchen; draped the towel over the oven door and found that putting that warmed towel around my neck felt really good for the outside of me. The hot cream of wheat warmed my insides.

Hmmm, was Kobi as cold as I was? I know, he has his own fur coat, but I put the afghan around him and took a few pictures just for fun. He's so sweet. It doesn't matter if I'm being silly or not.

Once I was warm enough, I moved the space heater into the bathroom so when I got out of a hot steamy shower I wouldn't freeze to death. The rest of the pics are just amusing to me. Of course, my purple slippers were icing on the cake.

It wasn't long before I decided I needed a heavier duty space heater, so out I went to Walmart for that purchase, and Panera Bread for some "real" warmth and a chance to write about all this over a hot tea by their fire place.

Adaptability. Hmmm, I'd say I'm adaptable. Tomorrow I'll see how much it's going to cost me to get the furnace fixed. Who knows, maybe I'll continue to be adaptable until I can save up for the furnace expense. ;->

Now, just as a pretty addition, here is one of my early-week carnations processed with the painterly-effect that Kim invited us to try in her Beyond Layers class.

Textures thanks to Kim Klassen's Beyond Layers: evolve, sienna, finale
Textures thanks to Shadowhouse Creations: raised-effect-2

That's it for today, my friends.
Hope you're all having a wonderful weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Brrrr!!! I say you've been very adaptable! I hope you're able to get it fixed fast and cheap!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Hope you'll leave a message so I know you were here. I love to hear from my visitors. ;->