'

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Where I've Been and Where I'm Going

I know I dropped off the blogosphere without any explanation, only my last post about floods in Colorado on 9/12/13. Some of you know what happened, but for those who don't, here it is.

On September 24, 2013, I was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) with a high risk gene (FLT3) that indicated the danger of early relapse. I was admitted to the hospital immediately upon diagnosis for a month of induction chemotherapy, then three weeks home, then a week of consolidation chemo. I was then home until January 21, 2014 when I was admitted for a Stem Cell Transplant (SCT). Five weeks later I returned home. Now 7.5 months post-transplant, I am doing well. I've walked 113 miles since May 19th, 2014 and continue adding to that number. Improvement comes every day with increased mental focus, physical stamina, and joy in living.


Portrait: Lissa post-SCT 2 months (March)
I now have some barely-there-hair :-)

I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you who stood by me during this journey. You helped me keep my spirits up, have something to look forward to, and take care of important matters that I couldn't take care of myself. You all know who you are, lest I will not name you individually here.

Finally, I feel up to sharing again. Yesterday I went on a neat adventure with my SCT buddy, Susan. We have walked the SCT journey together, originally meeting in the hospital. We went to the Denver Botanic Garden to see Dale Chihuly's glass art display. We wandered the gardens and took photos of the glass art (lighted at night, they must be magnificent) and the blossoms that will disappear soon with fall coming. With 19 photos to follow, this is truly a photofest. Unfortunately, I didn't get the names of all the displays I depict here.


Blue Icicle Towers and me ... I lost 58 lbs on the Leukemia Diet!
Picture by Susan Howard


Blue Icicle Towers and Susan





Summer Sun




Blue Marlins


Water Lilies



Float Boat





Left: Saffron Tower; Right: White Tower



Thanks to all for visiting.
I hope to be more active here now.

27 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear that you are doing well, Lissa, and it is wonderful to see you back here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, what a journey you have been through! I'm so glad you're doing better. I love Chichuly glass. My favorite is the blue marlins; love the reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back, Lissa! You have been sorely missed, but never far from my thoughts and prayers.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy to see you back! You are one courageous lady...kudos to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy, Cindy, Laurie,

    Thank you so much. I appreciate you taking time to let me know you stopped by! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa welcome back..you look terrific and hope your feeling better each day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl. I am feeling better most days. Still working on stamina. SCT is a long road to recovery.

      Delete
  7. That's a pretty drastic way to diet! I'm glad you're doing well, and you do look wonderful. Beautiful photos! I love Chihuly's glass art, too, though I've only seen it indoors. It looks amazing in this beautiful outdoor setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Yes, I know it's not the recommended way to lose weight, but you gotta find humor where you can, and I'm thrilled I'm back at a normal weight. Thanks for visiting, SeaBlue.

      Delete
  8. I've missed you and I'm so happy to get your post. Sounds like you've been to heck and back. But you're back and that's what counts. I also love seeing your beautiful images again,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, more like to the brink of death and back. They literally kill off all the cancer cells, which kills good cells too. I'm glad to be back in the land of the living. Thanks so much for visiting, Carol.

      Delete
  9. Welcome back!! I am so sorry for what you have been through, but glad you made a new friend! Your images are wonderful - so bright and cheerful! Praying that you and your friend enjoy good health from here on out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, thanks for the smile and sweet thoughts. Susan and I are a great support to one another since we have a similar journey, but it's good to know there are lots of folks who care.

      Delete
  10. So glad to see you again. Wishing you health and wellness. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your attitude through this all. Quite amazing!! Many prayers have been offered up on your behalf. You do look amazing! I am so excited that you are back and finding your creative self again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I appreciate you thoughts. I miss our email chats and keeping up with each others' adventures. :-)

      Delete
  12. So great to see you back in the blogosphere. You are looking great you are an inspiration .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Viv. I feel quite well although I still tire easily.

      Delete
  13. I am new to the Groupies so I didn't know about your journey,,,, thanks for sharing ....your courage in inspirational..... your pictures are amazing!! take care,,,, I will look forward to seeing more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you here, Bonnie. Today is a year from my initial diagnosis. I'm definitely making progress!

      Delete
  14. Glad you're back at your photography and blogging. I've missed your adventures and photos. It's great to have a new photo buddy too. So glad you're feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roxi. I've been walking for a while (since May seriously), but was not up to taking pictures until recently. It's nice to feel like taking the camera with me.

      Delete
  15. I am so happy to see you back! As you can probably tell, I've dropped out of the blogosphere a little myself. But it truly is great to see you walking and photographing again. Gorgeous place and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am sorry that I am only reading this now. It seems as though you've been through the worst and are on your way to better days. Sending you a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your shots and I love your spirit Lissa! You are looking great! Tough diet though,not one to recommend but so proud of all that you have accomplished through this time!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Hope you'll leave a message so I know you were here. I love to hear from my visitors. ;->