'

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Creative Expression: Transformation Artwork

While in the hospital, I was given more medications that I care to admit. And when I returned home, the same. Part of my home med regime was magnesium infusions that I called mag bags, magnesium in a saline solution in plastic balls administered through the tri-lumen catheter in my chest. After weeks of throwing away the mag bag refuse, I thought all of this is going into a land fill somewhere; there must be something I can do with it. I began to line the syringes, caps, and lines and such up on my kitchen table. I'm sure my son thought I was crazy, but I hoped the creative muse would help me come up with an alternative!


Weeks went by. Then in July I was asked by the Healing Arts Director, Cynthia Lockhart, at Presbyterian St. Luke's if I'd like to post some of my other artwork on a bulletin board at the BMT/STC unit (bone marrow transplant/stem cell transplant). I was thrilled! As we worked on the bulletin board we discovered there was space available for something else. I had the perfect idea--use the mag bag parts to make a new piece of art. The muse came through and syringe art was born.


Below is the complete board displayed at the hospital where I got my stem cell transplant. It represents a new program in the Healing Arts Department, Unfolding the Mind: Using Words and Images. Therefore, this bulletin board will be posted for quite some time. I've gotten lots of high praise. It feels so good to have my artwork posted publicly.

click image to see larger view;

Soon patients will get to meet me as I volunteer in the Healing Arts Program. I'll be helping them use journaling, images, and drumming for healing.

7 comments:

  1. Look where your journey has taken you. Certainly not where you expected, but your creative nature is helping in so many ways. It is great to see your blog back in action again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love this!!! Good to see you posting, Lissa! You have been missed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were a journey over a year ago - then a detour. This detour took you a year in another direction. I excited to see where you will go from here. If I were closer, I'd give you a big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lissa, this is so wonderful to see. You are truly a Creative - art-wise and life-wise. My Lissa would be beaming at this (she was treated at the very same PSL BMU 17 years ago) and would have loved your blending of science and art.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fabulous. Who would have thought of syringe art? Definitely different and they will sure be able to relate to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so creative. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your creativity is such a wonderful thing and will be an inspiration to many others for a long time to go!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by! Hope you'll leave a message so I know you were here. I love to hear from my visitors. ;->